Bulgarian and Romanian nationals

A2 nationals (Bulgarian and Romanian) joined the EEA on the 1st January 2007. There is a 7 year transitional period before complete freedom of movement for workers is guaranteed. There are restrictions imposed on Bulgarian and Romanian nationals.

Bulgarian and Romanian nationals are required to apply for permission before they can work in the UK. You may obtain an Accession Worker Card or work under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS) or the Sectors Based Scheme (SBS).

For those workers employed in the UK for a continuous period of 12 months, you would have full rights to freedom of movement and will no longer need permission to take work. You can then apply for a Registration Certificate confirming your right to live and work in the UK.

If you work in the UK in a self-employed capacity, you will not need permission. It is advisable that you apply for a Registration Certificate to confirm your right to work in the UK as a self-employed person.

If you are a student in the UK, you must obtain a Registration Certificate confirming that you are a student before undertaking employment. Once you obtain your Registration Certificate confirming that you are student, you may work up to 20 hours per week during term time and work full-time during vacation periods from your course.

© 2017 Lester Dominic. All rights reserved.