In certain circumstances, non-EEA children of British or settled citizens may be granted permission to settle in the UK. Children will not normally be granted a dependant visa unless both parents are settled in the UK. There are certain exceptions to this rule where:

  • 1 parent is dead and the other is settled or coming to settle here; or
  • the parent who is settled or coming to settle in the UK has had sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or
  • 1 parent is settled or coming to settle in the UK and there there are serious reasons why the child must be allowed to come here.

The child must be able to show that they:

  • are not leading an independent life;
  • are not married or in a civil partnership;
  • have not formed an independent family unit; and
  • are aged under 18.

© 2017 Lester Dominic. All rights reserved.