Spouses and civil partnerships

If you are married or have entered into a civil partnership with someone who is settled in the UK, you may apply to join your spouse or civil partner in the UK.

You will need to prove that you are legally married or in a civil partnership and that you are both over 21 years old on the day of your arrival in the UK or the day on which you are given permission to remain (or 18 years old if one of you is a serving member of HM Forces). You will need to be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient resources to support yourself or any dependants without recourse to public funds. You must also meet the English language requirement equivalent to a level of ‘A1’ unless you are exempt from the English language requirement.

As of May 2011, you are no longer required to apply to the UKBA for a certificate of approval. Therefore, if you are already in the UK you are free to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK.

If your Visa application as a spouse or civil partner is approved, you will be granted leave to enter or remain in the UK for a two-year probationary period. After the two-year probationary period under this category, you may be eligible to apply for settlement.

© 2017 Lester Dominic. All rights reserved.