Studying in the UK

Many people wish to study in the UK to further their education and obtain qualifications which will benefit them in terms of securing future employment. If you would like to make an application to study in the UK, the education provider you wish to study with must be approved by the UK Border Agency (UKBA), and have a sponsor licence in place.

From 31st March 2009, the rules relating to students changed. Tier 4 of the points based system has replaced the regime that existed prior to this date although, if you are a student under the immigration rules in place before 31st March 2009, you will still be subject to the old rules until your permission to stay runs out. Far from the UK Government’s intention to make it simpler and easier to understand, the Tier 4 points based system has more rules and is far more complicated than the previous Student Visa application. This is evidenced by its 80 pages of policy guidance with 5 annexes and an appendix, which lead to futher complications and uncertainty.

Students should also note that there are limited rights to appeal should the application be refused by the UK Border Agency as students will no longer be able to provide any evidence at the time of the Hearing and, therefore, the only remedy would actually mean making a fresh application. Students should also consider the effect of making a fresh application if they do not have existing leave to remain in the UK as a result of their initial refusal.

Students should also note that the education provider should be on the Tier 4 Register of Sponsors. In addition, from July 2012, all sponsors must be Highly Trusted to be able to sponsor non-EEA national students.

© 2017 Lester Dominic. All rights reserved.